Thursday, August 13, 2009

Technical difficulties

Still mastering this mom thing and developing a nightly schedule. I still only bathe him once a week eek did I just say that out loud. In my opinion he doesn't get so dirty hes still a newborn, not crawling around yet rarely spits up. Since we use diapers we also use cloth wipes so his butt is getting washed and smells fresh. When I do give him a bath he gets so serious and stares me right in the eyes the whole time as if asking "momma is this OK"He enjoys being naked and will scream after being taken out of the bathtub. He almost always passes out after a bath. We are starting to recognize when he is truly tired. If we don't put him to sleep shortly after then we are prepared for a complete and total meltdown. This usually happens around 7:15-7:30pm. Its like he doesn't know how to soothe himself that he just looses it for a second. K, well its longer then a second around ten to fifteen minutes I feel so bad for him as he holds his breath and turns purple in the face and his lips turn grey. Poor baby! Other then that he is so smiley and giggly at every moment.
In the future I would like to give him a nightly bath, a bedtime story and put him in his crib still awake but drowsy. He doesn't sleep all the way through the night he wakes up twice a night usually around 2-3am and then again around 5-6am. He only breastfeeds for about 10-15 minutes and I put him back in the crib and go back to bed myself. I still consider that pretty much sleeping through the night. It is totally effecting me though I'm crazy tired in the evenings. I would never give up breastfeeding but man oh man a bottle feeding left up to daddy sounds so great. Mommy hood is very overwhelming.



Ok down to what this post is really about. We use the Angelcare Monitor for Landon while he is sleeping. It gives me peace and mind. The other night it went off for about two seconds, it woke me but I was so asleep i said to myself, what was that? A few minutes later same thing happened I went down to his room to check on him. I found him rolled over while swaddled so he was face down against he side of the crib with his face into the bumper. Oh my gosh that is the scariest thing that has happened so far. I ripped the bumpers out of the crib and removed them. I had no idea he could do all that at three months old.


Wrapped all up in my miracle wrap and ready for bed. He cannot sleep without it. When his arms are out he will put his hands above his head and as soon as they start to touch the mattress he does the startle response and opens his eyes and screams in a panic. It is so sad to watch him do the 5-6 times in a minute. So during the day its sleep in the swing and at night it swaddled.


We have to keep his legs out of the pocket now because he is growing so big. After I removed the bumpers he woke up at about 5 am to eat I heard him fussing down the hallway. I went to pick him up and when I peered into the crib he had wiggled the wrap all the way up around his face. Ahhhhhhhhhh I pulled it off quickly and just looked at him thinking are you serious, you are going to give me a heart attack.


So now the question is how do we get baby to sleep through the night without this swaddle?


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Read that book on your table downstairs.. It better have the answer. Thats the whole reason I made you get it!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better yet, Make daddy read it, you are pretty busy.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. My 2nd son was swaddled all the way through 18 months and it looks like it may be the same for Max. He sleeps in his swing for naps too but he has to be swaddled in that too and in his pack n play at night next to our bed. The only time he isn't swaddled is if he falls asleep in his carseat. I think they are adorable swaddled and seeing those lil leggies stretching up in the air is exactly what my son does! If you figure out a good trick to unswaddling, definitely pass along the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it took a while for my two to get used to being unswaddled while sleeping. we slowly transitioned them...legs out, then we started only swaddling one arm for a week or so...they will eventually get it! you will know when he is ready!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails